Tacos might be the worlds most perfect food. Not just because, well, they’re fucking tacos but because most take basically zero time or fuss to cook.
When we go out to our favorite taqueria, we are all Al Pastor, all day. At home, especially when we’re super busy, we’d rather go Chicken, poached in spicy tomato sauce (aka: a jar of salsa), with avocado, and some bright lime-laced salsa fresca. We’re in no way implying that these are authentic, actual Mexican cuisine. But we are implying that it’s a delicious way to get shit done at home.
The key to really, really good tacos is really, really good tortillas. You can put basically anything inside a fresh, chewy, dense corn tortilla and it will taste like pure heaven. Cozying up to a good, local tortilleria is well worth your time. Most big cities have several, and even the kind of “meh” ones are 100% better the best at your grocery store. Here in Chicago, we’re partial to Tortilleria Sabinas. They’re excellent, extremely sweet, and cash only.
- 2 Tbsp Oil, dealer’s choice
- 1 ½ lb Chicken, bone and skin removed– thighs are cheaper but, like, dealer’s choice.
- 1 16 oz jar of your favorite Salsa– we like anything roasted and tomato-based
- 16 oz Water
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Lime
- Salsa Fresca (below!)
- Good Tortillas
- Serves: 4, or 2 with leftovers
- In a Dutch Oven, or other heavy-bottomed pan with tall sides, heat 2 tbsp Oil until shimmery. Quickly sear the chicken on both sides, to make it taste extra delicious. Skip this step if you’re incredibly lazy.
- Add the Salsa and Water, and continue to cook with the lid off on medium-high heat until the Chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° and the sauce has reduced to thick deliciousness; about 15 minutes.
- If you’re Chicken’s cooked, but you still have a soupy mess in the pan: don’t freak out, just take your Chicken out to rest and continue reducing the sauce until it meets your standards.
- Slice the Chicken (or shred it. we don’t care.), and tuck everything into your perfect tortillas. Top with slices of Avocado, a squeeze of Lime, and Salsa Fresca.
- 2 Tomatoes, ones the size of your fist
- ½ Jalapeno
- ¼ Red Onion
- 1 Lime
- Cilantro (unless you hate it)
- Salt, to taste
- This is one of our patently not rocket surgery recipes. Cut the Tomatoes in half, scoop the bitter gel and seeds out with a spoon. Do the same with the Jalapenos’ spicy seeds and ribs. Chop ‘em up, along with the Red Onion, into tiny pieces. Squeeze in some Lime, sprinkle on some Cilantro– chopped or not–, and Salt to taste.