Putting booze into our sweet tea is the best decision we’ve made all summer. It’s better than swimming pools, better than bonfires, and it’s even better than walking to the Tasty-Freez, ordering a chocolate dipped vanilla cone, and dipping each bite into a side of sprinkles.
It took us a while to reach the right formula for this cocktail. We knew right away that bourbon was the best liquor for the job, and were pretty passionate about using peaches, but something was missing. We needed something to round out the warmth of the alcohol and sharpen the fuzzy sweetness of peaches. Pouring through Rachel’s liquor cabinet we found a bottle of Koval’s Ginger Liqueur and its spicy sweet bite was the perfect fit.
Koval is a Chicago distillery located in the Andersonville neighborhood. We’re kind of obsessed. Their weird liqueurs and wonderful white whiskey are one of our favorite parts of Logan Square’s farmer’s market, and we really love their community oriented business model. They use organic Midwestern grain, grown sustainably at nearby farms and support more local organizations and projects than we could ever list. Other than the Ginger stuff, for this cocktail (which is essential for dark and stormies and hot toddies) we’re really into their Chrysanthemum and Honey Liqueur. It’s delicate and flowery and really fucking yummy.
- 6 Black Tea Bags– nothing fancy, we like Luzianne because Rachel’s Boyfriend’s Very Southern Mother said so.
- 1 quart Water
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Peach Nectar
- 2 Peaches, washed pitted and sliced
- Good Bourbon
- Koval’s Ginger Liqueur or you can make your own
- a BUNCH of Ice Cubes
- Serves: well, sugar, that depends on how thirsty you are. This will make a gigantic pitcher’s worth of hooch.
- Bring Water to a hard boil in a saucepan. Add Brown Sugar and continue to boil for 30 seconds. Turn off your stove and, away from any open flame, add Tea Bags and Peach Nectar. Let the tea steep for at least 30 minutes, or until cooled to room temperature.
- Add the Sweet Tea mixture to your favorite pitcher, with about ½ cup each Bourbon and Ginger Liqueur, adjusting for your own personal preferences and tolerances, and your Peach Slices. Pour into frosty glasses full to the top with Ice, and drink it on a porch with your shoes off.